Règlement de prêt d’échantillons d’Herbier G
All recipients of material loaned from Herbarium G are required to comply with the following conditions. Each recipient must sign and return the loan agreement section attached.
- Period of Loan: Loans are granted for the period of one year. If necessary and upon a specific written request, an extension may be granted. We reserve the right to request the return of loaned material at any time.
- Security of Loan: If small portions have become detached from an herbarium sheet during transit, please place the loose material in a paper packet and paperclip it to the sheet. If more serious damage has occurred please inform G immediately.
Specimens must be studied with the minimal of physical manipulation. Sheets or packets should not be bent, folded, or handled in any way likely to be detrimental to the specimen(s). Except during actual examination, specimens should remain in their original folders or packets.
Loans must be stored under secure, protective conditions, i.e. free of insects and other pests; and under proper climatic conditions for herbarium specimens that inhibit insect activity and fungal growth.
Loaned specimens must not be removed from the receiving institution for study elsewhere. A transfer of the loan to another institution is subject to prior consent of Herbarium G. The institution to which a loan is transferred must, in advance, accept responsibility for the material under the terms of these conditions.
- Removal of material / extracts: Dissection or removal of parts of specimens for studies in palynology, anatomy, phytochemistry, DNA extraction, molecular sequencing and germination tests, etc. is strictly forbidden, unless a specific permission was granted in advance (e.g. was indicated with the loan request). Any material sampled from the specimens must not be retained without prior approval from Herbarium G.
- Annotations: All specimens must be annotated (a minimum of the taxonomic name, type designation (if a type), researcher(s), institution and date, and, wherever possible, the name of the research project). Annotations should be printed or legibly written in permanent ink (e.g. not with a ballpoint pen) on acid-free paper.
The herbarium sheets and packets must not be marked in any way. Annotation slips should be paper clipped to the sheets or placed loose (but securely) inside every packet concerned. Never glue them to the herbarium sheets or packets, and never use adhesive tape to fasten them to the herbarium sheets / packets.
We encourage that any drawings, photographs, notes, descriptions, microscopic measurements or preparations etc. resulting from the study of the each specimen are sent to the G herbarium (either associated to the specimen or digitally).
- Acknowledgement: the Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques de Genève (Herbarium G) must be acknowledged appropriately in any publication that presents results derived from use of Herbarium G specimens, images or samples from the specimens sent as gifts. A copy of any publication resulting from the study of loaned, exchange or donated material should be sent to the relevant Head Curator at Herbarium G.
- Returning loans: Loans should be returned, in their entirety, as soon as possible after the completion of the research. Partial loan returns can only be accepted with prior consent of the Herbarium G staff. Specimens must be returned in their original folders or packets, and must be securely packaged for shipping, at least to a comparable standard of that used when the material was dispatched from Herbarium G.
Loans must be returned by a traceable postal service. A tracking number is mandatory. Herbarium G must be informed - by email- as soon as the return loan parcel has been dispatched.